Know where to go for NHS care in Southwark this August bank holiday
Ahead of the bank holiday weekend (24 – 26 August), GPs in Southwark are reminding people that the NHS is still on hand to help if they are injured or unwell.
The bank holiday is a great time to relax and enjoy a well-earned break, but by being prepared and knowing the right place to go for NHS care and support, you can help make sure you receive the treatment and advice you need more quickly.
By choosing the right service, it means that you can get the help you need as quickly as possible, while freeing up staff at our emergency departments to treat people with life-threatening illnesses or injuries.
Knowing your healthcare options can save you time and help free-up staff at our emergency departments to treat people with life-threatening illnesses or injuries.
People in Southwark have plenty of healthcare options available, including:
- Self-care – keep your medicine cabinet well stocked with basic items such as painkillers, anti-diarrhoea tablets and indigestion treatment. If you take prescribed medication regularly, make sure you have supplies to last over the bank holiday weekend and get any request for repeat prescriptions into your GP as soon as possible. Find out more about looking after your own health.
- Visit your local pharmacy – many common illnesses, such as sore throats, upset stomachs and teething, can be treated quickly and easily by visiting your local pharmacy. Pharmacists are trained health professionals who can assess symptoms, offer advice and recommend over-the-counter medicines. Some pharmacies in Southwark will be open over the bank holiday weekend, but please check the list of pharmacy opening hours before you go.
- Evening and weekend appointments – Extra GP and nurse appointments are available from 8am-8pm, seven days a week, including bank holidays, at two locations in Southwark: Lister Health Centre in Peckham and Spa Medical Centre in Bermondsey. To book an appointment, speak to your GP surgery, or if your surgery is closed, call the GP out-of-hours service on 111.
- NHS 111 service – if you need medical help, but your condition is not life threatening, you can call NHS 111 or visit 111.nhs.uk 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including bank holidays. The service is staffed by GPs, pharmacists and nurses who can offer clinical consultations. The service can also provide patient information, issue prescriptions and book GP appointments.
- Mental health support – if you are experiencing mental health distress and need to speak to someone urgently, you can call the 24-hour mental health support line for free on 0800 731 2864.
- Dial 999 – If there is a medical emergency or someone you know is in a life-threatening situation (e.g. chest pains, difficulty breathing) dial 999 or visit A&E. Remember, A&E services are likely to be very busy so should only be used in an emergency.
For more advice on how to stay well over the August bank holiday weekend, please visit www.nhs.uk
|Pharmacy Name||Address||Postcode||Telephone Number||August Bank Holiday (26/08/19)|
|Morrisons Pharmacy||Aylesham Centre, Rye Lane||SE15 5EW||020 7639 0483||10am - 4pm |
|Tesco Pharmacy||107 Dunton Road, London||SE1 5HG||020 3801 6141 / 0345 677 9625||9am - 6pm |
|Boots the Chemist||Units 8-11 , Hays Galleria, Counter Street||SE1 2HD||020 7407 4276||10am - 6pm |
|Tesco Pharmacy||Surrey Quays Shopping Centre, Redriff Road||SE16 7LL||0345 677 9636||9am - 6pm |
|Lloyds (inside Sainsbury's)||80 Dog Kennel Hill, London||SE22 8BB||020 7733 6195||9am – 5pm |
|Brockwell Park Pharmacy||7 Half Moon Lane, London||SE24 9JU||020 7274 3928||10am - 4pm|
|Asda Pharmacy||464-504 Old Kent Road, London||SE1 5AG||020 7500 7910||9am - 6pm |
|Boots the Chemist||289-291 Walworth Road, London||SE17 2TG||020 7703 4356||11am - 5pm |
|Boots the Chemist||333 - 334 Elephant & Castle, Shopping Centre, London||SE1 6TB||020 7703 6149||11am - 5pm|
|Boots the Chemist||11-13 Surrey Quays Shopping Ctr, Redriff Road||SE16 7LL||020 7252 0084|
11am - 5pm
|Boots the Chemist||20 Rye Lane, London||SE15 5BS||020 7639 1544||11am - 5pm |
|V.E.Lettsom||84 Vestry Road, Camberwell,||SE5 8BQ||020 7701 9250||8.30am - 8.30pm|
|Jamaica Road Pharmacy||182 Jamaica Road, North Southwark||SE16 4RT||020 7237 3483||8.30am - 8.30pm|